One of the most difficult challenges of living in Asia for me? There is always a woman in the men’s public restrooms. I appreciate that she is there to make the place as clean and comfortable as possible, but why is she always inside?
And she doesn’t leave when I come in. She sticks around while all the men do their business, sometimes mopping around our feet while we go.
I think it’s because women don’t know about the male code related to bathrooms. We have certain unwritten rules that all men observe. I don’t know if we learn them from our dads or from inconspicuous observation, but we all know them:
- Always skip at least one urinal between men.
- If the only open urinal is between two men, use the stall.
- Don’t talk to the guy next to you unless you know each other well.
- Eyes to the front, elevated approximately 110 degrees.
- Never shake hands in the restroom.
But the most important rule is….Don’t hang around if you are done with your business. It’s creepy. Get in and get out. Quickly. That’s the rule. I don’t even like it when there is a male custodian in the restroom.
Of course, I know what my wife will say when she reads this post. The woman is there to supervise the men, because no matter how old we get or how much practice we’ve had, we still miss the bowl.